Theorie and Implementation of a Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar for Chinese with Special Focus on Argument Structure Constructions and Constituent Order
(Grant MU 2822/5-1)
1.10.2011 until 30.11.2013
The goal of the project is a description of central phenomena in Chinese in the framework of
Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar (HPSG) and the development of a non-trivial grammar fragment
for Chinese. Particular attention will be paid to the following phenomena fields: valence and
argument structure; constituent order and variations in information structure; complex predicates:
serial verbs, coverbs, dative constructions, ba- and bei-constructions,
The project aims at a close connection between theory and implementation. The analyses will be based
on existing grammar fragments for German, Danish, Maltese and Persian which have been implemented in
the framework of HPSG. The development of these grammar fragments has been led by the goal of
maximizing a common core and exploiting generalizations which render the
structures observed in specific classes of languages.
In the project, we will try to minimize the use of language-specific rules and features; unavoidable
language-specific stipulations will thus point towards differences between the considered
languages. These differences will be documented in descriptive as well as theoretical
publications. Therefore, our project also contributes to a typological understanding of the
considered languages in a constraint-based grammar formalism.
- Müller, Stefan and Lipenkova, Janna (Erscheint) ChinGram: A Trale Implementation of an HPSG Fragment of Mandarin Chinese , in: Proceedings of PACLIC 2013, Taipei: National Chengchi University.
- Lipenkova, Janna (2011) Reanalysis of obligatory modifiers as complements in
the Chinese ba-construction, in: Proceedings of the 18th International Head-driven Phrase Structure Grammar Conference (ed. Stefan Müller), Stanford: CSLI Publications.
- Müller, Stefan and Lipenkova, Janna (2009) Serial Verbs in Chinese: A
HPSG-Account, in Stefan Müller (ed.), Proceedings of the 16th International
Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar, Stanford: CSLI Publications, pages 234–254.
- Lipenkova Janna, October 2011: Workshop on Issues in Construction-based and Related Linguistic Theories, FU Berlin, talk: Lexical licensing in the Chinese ba-construction
- Lipenkova, Janna, September 2011: Colloque de Syntaxe et Sémantique, Paris, talk: Lexical licensing and obligatory event modifiers in the Chinese
- Lipenkova, Janna, August 2011: 18th International Head-driven Phrase Structure Grammar Conference, University of Washington, talk: Reanalysis of obligatory modifiers as complements in the Chinese ba-construction
- Lipenkova, Janna, July 2010: The 17th International Conference on Head-Driven
Phrase Structure Grammar, Université Denis Diderot Paris, poster: A HPSG representation
of causativity in the Chinese ba-construction